Nampak Plastics Europe had been on a steady decline from a profitability perspective with the business struggling on all fronts including operations, quality and customer retention in the face of stiff and well-invested competition on the market. As such, they wanted to reinvigorate the management team initially starting with a new Managing Director before completing a review of the board. This review then resulted in the necessity to recruit an Operations Director, Finance Director and Sales Director – essentially an entire board replacement project.
- The initial approach was incredibly targeted and did not need an entire search, due to our expertise and knowledge of the market the sourcing of a Managing Director rested entirely upon our network. As such we reached out to a select few candidates that were qualified and capable enough to do what was asked and then organised a number of interviews. The process moved very quickly and resulted in a new Managing Director being appointed within three weeks. This individual had direct experience within the market having competed against Nampak Plastics Europe for the best part of the last ten years.
- Following this we worked closely with the new Managing Director and existing Head of HR to define and benchmark Operations Director, Sales Director, Finance Director and General Manager job titles.
- After the initial definition stage we then sought to plan the entire project, prioritising certain key positions ahead of others. Subsequently we then mapped the market for each profile, identifying a long-list of potential candidates before interviewing to finalise a shortlist following which the interview process was completed, references taken and offers made.
- Resourcing for so many key positions in such a short period of time was a significant challenge both in terms of the workload but also how the entire process was managed.
Nampak are Africa’s largest diversified packaging organisation, turning over circa £1bn with operations throughout Europe and Africa. The business is split into three divisions; Glass, Metal and Plastics all manufacturing containers for a variety of end markets.
Nampak Plastics Europe operates mainly within the UK and has 11 manufacturing facilities involved in the production of PET and HDPE bottles predominantly for dairy and beverage markets.
I would not hesitate to engage Ben in another international search, nor would I hesitate in recommending him to any other organisations.
Andre de Ruyter – CEO – Nampak
- All positions recruited within an eight month period. Aside from Arnold Mitterer as MD, the other key positions of Finance Director, Sales Director, Operations Director and General Manager were all recruited with processes running alongside each other within a five month period.
- Since the appointments have been made the business has gone through a challenging period, this was one that the business had been braced for given the steady decline over the preceding years. The task has been to ‘right-size’ the business by cutting some cost while also managing the transition of several factories back into Muller Dairies ownership. Despite this the overall CEO Andre De Ruyter has been pleased with each hire and the general direction of the UK & I business.