The first challenge was to find and secure a commercial leader with vigour and tenacity, someone capable of injecting energy into a team, bring new ideas, focus and process to a department that had little by the way of commercial insights, systems and accountability. This role had already been to the market but unfortunately, the candidates provided were not at the requisite leadership level. Monocle International were recommended as an expert in this field to the Human Resources Director by a mutual contact of the owners.
The second challenge was to secure an operational leader who could change very entrenched thinking, build trust with a disengaged workforce and encourage new behaviours taking the team into a new era built upon accountability, processes and data, to allow potential to flourish and move the business forward. There was a real need to move at pace with this hire and timings were critical.
- Following on from extensive briefings to understand the legacy issues, candidate profile and character traits required for the position, we conducted a search of the immediate area to draw together a strong enough shortlist. Given the changes to the business it was important to have someone with accessibility to the new site in Norwich.
- The initial search was highly targeted given the limited candidates based in the area who met all of the required criteria. We were able to cross match our current networks across both the food and ingredients sectors allowing for a wider talent pool until we had a strong enough shortlist of candidates.
- We were able to pull together a compelling briefing pack for the business in order to unlock the potential of the role and the future potential of the business. This allowed us to attract a strong shortlist.
- Full referencing was recommend given the significance of the appointment.
- It was paramount to find an operator in this field who could deal with the ongoing operational issues that had built up over time. Monocle International’s operational network is vast within food manufacturing so this gave us a strong start and we were able to use this, together with our operational database to fulfil this hire at speed.
- We quickly identified over 20 suitable candidates for the role including a possible interim solution however only 3 CVs were submitted with one outstanding permanent candidate who ultimately secured the role. Our knowledge of the site, team and visits to site were of great benefit in really understanding what would work for this hire.
- Due to the pace of the hire it required a very strong partnership approach to communication detail and expectation. This was a very important hire for the future of the business given the impact it would have across capital, people and the wider projects.
Pasta Foods is the UK's only dried pasta and snack pellet manufacturer and have over 50 years’ experience in quality pasta and snack pellet manufacturing. Based in East Anglia across two sites they create a wide range of high quality innovative snack pellets across a wide variety of formats for food manufacturers, foodservice customers, and wholesale customers in the UK and internationally supplying to overs 40 countries worldwide.
Formally a RHM site headquartered in Great Yarmouth, the business has expanded its operations and recently relocated its head office to Norwich where the senior leadership team are now based. In 2015, the business invested over £12m in a new state of the art facility in Norwich to extend their pasta capability and the business continues to grow from strength to strength. Over the last two years, the business have invested heavily in building an exceptionally strong senior leadership team to take the potential of the business forward and realise their ambitious growth plans together with additional capital investment and manufacturing capability.
Over that last two years, Monocle have been engaged to fulfil two key leadership hires in Commercial and Operations.
I have worked with Andrew on two Board level positions and a number of senior appointments. On each occasion, Andrew has provided relevant, high quality candidates that have fitted seamlessly with the business and added real value from day one.
- The commercial appointment has resulted in a much stronger commercial focus both domestically and internationally. The team is much better equipped to sell, benefits from greater insight, clarity and energy.
- Following on from this appointment, successive sales appointments have been made to further strengthen the commercial agenda, succession planning and technical capability of the team.
- The operational appointment has resulted in a more efficient, controlled and productive workforce with accountability over efficiencies, costs, duties and responsibilities.
Both hires have made a real difference to the business and Monocle International are proud to have been able to support a high potential SME take some of the next steps in their journey of growth.